I had a night last night that I've been waiting for since I arrived in BsAs. I was at tango class, the same queer tango that I've been to a couple times before. I'm acquainted with most of the people there by now, but that didn't seem to matter last night. I felt completely isolated from everybody. I couldn't figure out how to say anything that I wanted to, and it didn't seem like anybody wanted to spend their night struggling to understand what the foreigner was saying. I can't blame them. I would rather just have a carefree conversation too, but it's just not possible now. And so I felt like the outsider, completely isolated and alone. It sucked. I knew it was coming, I just didn't know when. I didn't expect that the more spanish I learned the harder it would get. I thought it would get easier. I now know just enough to get frustrated when I can't get the words out. It was the first time I wondered what I was doing here in Argentina, why I came to a country where I couldn't communicate with words and how I thought I was going to get by.

We were supposed to take a class field trip to the delta today for a relaxing day of swimming, however it poured down rain. We were going to have class as usual, but after last night I just wasn't feeling up to it. After 3 1/2 weeks of spanish class every weekday I just needed a break. I slept in until 11, went out for coffee and went to see a movie in english. I felt guilty doing it, but it still felt good. It was a much needed escape. And now I can go back to spanish class tomorrow, and in theory I'll be a little refreshed and ready to learn again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear sam, now that i've caught up on all your entries for the last month or so, i felt i could finally comment.
i just wanted to share a few encouraging thoughts with you, in that i am 1. super jealous as hell that you're in argentina, that's the shit! 2. so fucking proud of you for having the guts and fortitude of trekking out half way accross the globe, again, to go to a country where you have to learn the language from scratch. and also, from that seriously difficult journey, you will have mastered everything there is to life the universe and everything, and every other obstacle you'll face from here on in will be a fucking joke. cause i certainly realize how hard it is. i also just wanted you to know that im totally rootin' for ya, and i know you can do it. :) hugs- tat