Back.

I'm back in the United States. There doesn't appear to be anything that I missed terribly or was happy to get back to. Instead there are things that I missing about other places, mostly Argentina. I miss the good coffee. I miss the spanish. I miss my love. I miss the clouds there. I miss things not being so easy, but having small hurdles to accomplish little daily things.

Here I'm seeing that: Americans are quite overweight. Quite. Strip malls are growing at an exponential rate. I had no idea they could pop up so quickly. My hometown is so completely changed that I don't belive I could navigate it, and I have no desire to. Americans talk loud, not only on their cell phones, but to the people right next to them. There is a failing effort to beautify the towns that have grown into small cities. All the cars here are new. All strip-mall parking lots, as well as mall parking lots are designed for people to get into their cars and drive from place to place. Pedestrian traffic is unwelcome and highly discouraged.

I'll be heading up to Oregon on Tuesday. I have a week to prepare for my trip to Ireland with my mother. We're going to Ireland (and hopefully we'll squeeze in Scotland and Wales) for 3 weeks. It's our first time travelling together, so I ask everybody to think good thoughts for us. Perhaps if you make a wish on a dandelion or an eyelash or over railroad tracks, you can make a wish for me. I promise to return the favor when you need a wish. I am thinking positive, that we're going to have a good time and things will go smoothly. The only pending thing that needs to happen before we leave is me getting a new drivers license. I need to take and pass the Oregon driving test sometime over the next week. I'm not worried, but some previous residents of California have been known to fail their first time around...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes about about a month to readjust to America, maybe longer. Culture shock is always harder coming back here. Good luck with mom. It's nice knowing you're in the country. Email me a phone number so I can call you and find out about your love! Exciting. I miss you terribly.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back lady! Although it may not seem so welcome....Yes, as Rani said, the culture shock is INTENSE.
When I arrived in LAX on my return journey from abroad all those years ago, I was almost panicking from being surrounded by hordes of loud, obnoxious, and fat americans.
For real.
I do hope you have a lovely time touring Ireland and such. Keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth journey for you!!!

Anonymous said...

culture shock - yes - but who thought culture was smooth? - i know, i know: displacement helps the effects of contrast, therefore the shock.
but baby...
you know shocks are NOTHING when its counterpart is eyelashes. wishes. don't miss any chance.
remember super twinkle!
besos...

mishmish said...

welcome back and good luck on the trip with mom. if you end up in london on a layover you should get in touch with david. i will send you his email if i can find it.

the oregon drivers test is easy and hopefully you won't have the experience that jess had, where the guy next too her prayed (loudly) before every question. just really study the book, especially bike/car laws because they test *heavily* on that. everyone (lots of law school classmates) that failed was because they didnt study the book and bike laws. you will kick ass!

take care and we can't wait to see you again! t&j