Merry Christmas!!!

It's a beautiful Christmas morning, and there is everything around me to remind me that I'm in New Zealand. Yesterday Rosemary and I went out into the forest and chopped down a Christmas tree. I'm used to going to the Christmas tree lot and scrutinizing all the Douglas Firs. (Except of course for the last few years when I've gotten a pointsetta and called that in that spirit) I don't know what kind of tree it is, but after we put all the decorations on last night, it was no doubt meant for Christmas.

Before we got to the tree decorating last night, the group of women at the Waihoihoi Lodge piled into cars and went down to the annual Waipu Christmas parade. Everything about the parade lets you know that it's Christmas, but at the same time lets you know that it's summer.... A Christmas parade with a wheelbarrow race, people in shorts and beach lifesavers, and it's in the evening but the sun is still shining. Weird.

And now it's Christmas morning and the sun is shining, and it's likely to be a glorius day at the beach. I am crossing my fingers to hope that I can make it there sometime today. Some sad news about today is that I scratched my Christmas scratch ticket, and I did not win $10,000. But I'll live, and I am sure that whatever present I end up with in the yankee swap will be enough.

I hope you all enjoy your Christmas and are able to spend it with your family and friends, eat lots and lots of food and relax all day. I'll be thinking of all of you today (and when I say thinking, I really mean terribly missing). Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: