Success!

Today was my first full day in Buenos Aires, and it was a success. I am so happy to be in this city. It's huge, and I am constantly getting lost, but I think that's the best way to learn my way around. The city is huge however. I think I could walk around every day that I'm in this country and still get lost. I'll just have to give it a try and see. My success today was two-fold. I found a spanish school that made me feel warm and fuzzy and I found an apartment that did the same. I am moving into the apartment tomorrow and staring spanish classes on monday.

After travelling around for nearly 5 months I cannot wait to unpack my bag somewhere. I am going to make my new room beautiful. Anyone who's known me for a while knows that I never do anything in my bedroom. I always leave it pretty bare because I know that in a year I'll have to take everything down, and I know that a year will go by pretty fast. I'm not sure if I've changed or if it's just the situation, but I want to make this room mine. So, after I've unpacked my bag I'm going to the market to get some plants and somethings to put on the wall. I'm so excited. I'll post pictures sometime after I move in.

The start of spanish classes will be a good thing indeed. I keep avoiding eating until I'm starving because I know that I'm going to have to make a fool of myself trying to order in a restaurant. It's the simple things that are really confusing. I still can't figure out if I seat myself or if I should wait. And sometimes trying to ask if I seat myself gets all weird and confusing. It is getting a little easier though. I look frantically through my phrase book before I go into a restaurant, but then of course they talk back to me, and I'm clueless again. The funniest exchange though had to be when I was looking at the apartment. The landlord speaks no english, not that he would be expected to. The conversation consisted of a lot of smiling, a lot of laughing, the occasional writing and one opening of the spanish phrase book. Without any spanish I was able to talk him down on the price though. I thought that was pretty good. I can't wait to be able to have normal conversations with people here though. Hopefully with 20 hours a week of spanish classes that will happen sooner than later.

I think this is getting a bit long. I'll stop so everybody reading at work can get back to their jobs. Remind me why you still have jobs again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so brave and capable and wonderful Samanthia. Congratulations on your new home. Good things happen to good people, and I wait with anticipation to see photos of your bedroom, plants and posters and all. Take care, be well, and I hope you are not too hungry. Adios Amiga! XO